According to ICONOMI (and all best practices with sensitive internet transactions for that matter), all users are recommended to enable the two-factor authentication (2FA) for their accounts:
"With 2FA enabled, you'll be asked to provide your 2FA verification code as well as your password every time when accessing your ICONOMI account."
Enabling 2FA is not mandatory in the beginning, yet it is demanded once you need to make a withdrawal from your account.
Setting up the two-factor authentication
- In the Account menu, look for the SECURITY section below and click Change Two-Factor Authentication settings, then click Enable 2FA.
- In the following step, you will need to install and use a 2FA application on your smartphone, such as Google Authenticator (available for free download on Google Play and Apple App Store). Once installed, the app will open the camera which you will point to the QR code - the image to be scanned on your computer screen:
- Also, write down your Authentication key - you will need it to restore the 2FA in case you lose or reset your mobile device! It is not recommended to store this key on your computer where it is vulnerable to hacks; rather write it down on a piece of paper and carefully save it.
- The app on the phone will now automatically generate a verification code. Enter this code and click Enable 2FA.*
- Now check your inbox to find and read the email from ICONOMI (email@example.com) and click the button “ENABLE 2FA” at the end of the email.
- This will take you back to the ICONOMI website, confirming that you have successfully completed email verification.
- Now the status of the two-factor authentication is ENABLED in your account.
- You will receive another email confirmation from ICONOMI.
* If you're having trouble with installing/setting up Google Authenticator, please refer to Google's instructions. And just in case, here is another great tutorial, explaining the whole process in great detail.
Accessing your account with the two-factor authentication
From now on, when logging into your ICONOMI account or making changes to it, as well as with withdrawing your funds, you will be asked to verify your identity using an authentication application. It will look like this:
- Go to www.iconomi.net and log in with your email and password, as usual.
- In the next step, you are required to enter your Two-factor authentication code:
- Now open the Google Authenticator app on your phone. You will see an automatically generated code titled 'ICONOMI (your email)'. Authenticator codes are time-sensitive: a new code is being generated every 30 seconds (see the little countdown clock on the right):
- Make sure to retype the code into your ICONOMI login window and click Confirm while the code is still valid (i.e. within 30 seconds after it has been published).
- You have successfully entered your account: just like before, only with much greater security.
Now you're all set and secure for the deposit in the following step: (9) Depositing ETH to your ICONOMI account.
Feel free to contact us if you require more assistance: firstname.lastname@example.org